Tuesday 6 September 2011

Putting the Good back in Goodbye - or trying to...



Well, here I am at the allotment, preparing myself for another loss, saying 'goodbye' again; but at least this time it's on my terms. It's still hard though; still sad; still another loss.

The leaves rustle 'goodbye' and it feels like all my little friends are making sure to pop by, or fly over, so that I can see them for one  last time... Frogs, bunnies, geese, ladybirds... It's all very poignant.

Ironically, I've had my most bountiful crops ever this year, and the plum tree flowered and fruited for the first time too.

I've raised my first brood of frogs and I rescued a baby blackbird and countless bees.

Maybe my work here is done...









2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear you are giving up your allotment, although I do understand why. I had one for a year a while back and it was more work that I thought (or had time for). Why annoyed me though, was the small mindedness of the 'committee' and the power they knew that had over you.

    Did you ever watch a BBC film called 'Grow Your Own' - all about an allotment and the people - deeply moving story. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m5pp2

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thanks Martin - yes, it's the constant harrassment from the committee that has led to me deciding to give it up - their views and mine are incompatible. Organic and wildlife friendly gardening isn't part of their remit, unfortunately... It has become too stressful, having to battle constantly with them... Not at all what I'd thought allotment life would be like!

    No, I didn't see that, but it looks right up my street - I hope it gets shown again sometime -thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete