Sunday 4 September 2011

'The sun rose a ribbon at a time'...

I love waking up at this time of year and watching the sun gradually wake up too...
Here are some photos from this morning and a couple of days ago, with some quotes thrown in for good measure...


I'll tell you how the sun rose a ribbon at a time  ~ Emily Dickinson

 



There is a harmony in autumn, and a luster in its sky...
Percy Bysshe Shelley




I remember a hundred lovely lakes, and recall the fragrant breath of pine and fir and cedar and poplar trees. 
The trail has strung upon it, as upon a thread of silk, opalescent dawns and saffron sunsets. 
It has given me blessed release from care and worry and the troubled thinking of our modern day. 
It has been a return to the primitive and the peaceful. 
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy. 
Hamlin Garland, McClure's, February 1899

No comments:

Post a Comment