Wednesday 9 November 2011

The Writing on the Wall...





The second photo is where the Get Carter car park used to be...

I'm loving the lomo-effect function on my new phone - some people hate it, but I like it - mainly because although I love, love, love my analogue cameras, I feel uneasy about using film now because apparently gelatine is used, and that doesn't fit in with my vegan ethics. Digital cameras bypass the use of film, so that is a plus, although nothing can beat the anticipation of collecting a film that has just been developed... again, that links in nicely with the blog I've just written on my other site, where I look at the fact that nowadays we expect things instantly, rather than waiting patiently...
Digital cameras v analogue?? hmm... 'Perfection' v 'imperfection'?? ...
Sometimes (often?) old, vintage, mistakes and imperfections win hands down, and are well worth waiting for...
(but on the other hand, that doesn't resolve the gelatine issue...) hmm...

Anyway, I'll stop rambling as it is evidently time for bed now...

2 comments:

  1. The subject of photography is interesting if you ask the question 'why' do you want to photograph something or someone. If you're after a facsimile of that moment, then a high quality digital camera will do the job. On the other hand, I love the 'lo-fi' effects of old (or modern retro) film cameras, but I don't have one myself because of the film/gelatine issue (being a fellow vegan).

    Of course, roll the clock back 10 years (I was still a vegan), and yes, we have film cameras but the choice was to use film (gelatine) or not take a photo - we chose to take photos.

    Nowadays, digital can be processed to look like analog and doesn't involve gelatine or nasty chemicals to process, which is great!

    It's odd that some (not all) of my favourite shots are taken on my phone - perhaps because the quality is not great, you look beyond sharpness and definition, and you peel back the layers to get to the emotion of an image - most of which is actually in your mind!

    By the way, what phone/app do you use to get the effects (which I love by the way)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin

    - I only found out recently that gelatine is used - until then, I was blissfully unaware. It's a shame, because over the last year or so I've been gathering quite a collection of old cameras, via ebay and markets, etc...
    But yes, like you say, it is possible to get similar effects by other means now...

    The app I'm using is called 'Instagram', but I'm sure there will be other similar apps avilable...

    Thanks again for commenting!

    ReplyDelete